Saturday, September 20, 2014

Suhan Lee/My attitude toward writing/Tues 3-4

  The first memory related to writing I can remember is the letter to my parents. I remember that after I learned how to write, I would enjoy writing letters to my parents with my uneven handwriting. The very first memory is the letter which I wrote for the Parents' day in my kindergarten. I wrote a few letter and give it to my parents with a couple of carnation. Those were not that flowing and elegant sentences, but they were so delighted with it. I think it made me be fond of writing. From then until now, I have enjoyed writing letters to the people I love.

  During my school days, I used to write compositions in school writing contest. It required me to consider my ideas, write down it within a limitation, and modify some incomplete parts, which helped my writing improved. Sometimes I received the prizes. I began to think that I had a little aptitude for writing and It encouraged me enjoy writing. As I grow, I have been getting used to expressing my thoughts and feelings by writing, even though it is not an assignment. Writing has gotten into a habit through many experiences, so these days I often note down some thoughts coursing through my mind. I think it is wonderful to share my thoughts and feeling with other people with my writing. When thoughts and feelings are gone in an instant, writings are left. When writings are closed, the impressions linger. Writing is one of great tools which enable passing thoughts and feelings to be captured.

  If there is a problem with my attitude toward writing, it is that my writing is limited to Korean. I am not bilingual and I have never been abroad, so it is hard for me to make up complete sentences which is natural to natives. Also, it is difficult to deliver subtle nuances to others. Yet, it motivates me to study English harder. I am trying to read various kinds of readings and translate some beautiful Korean writings into English as natural as possible. These practices broaden my writing boundaries, which enable me to look the world with broader vision. My goal is to be proficient enough in English as much as I can express whatever I think. I hope I will enjoy English writing as mu as I do in Korean.

3 comments:

  1. I envy you that you are good and are good at writing. Because I do not like to write whether it's Korean or English, I envy those who like to write. I want to express my feelings and thoughts in writing like you have said, but it is not easy for me. Although you've said that you worry about your English writing, I think it won't be any problem. Partly because, I think that if you're perfect at organizing your thought clearly and putting it into words, then it won't be any challenge in any languages. -201300489 Bo-won Kim-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don’t enjoy writing letters, so it’s quite surprising to see someone who likes to write it. I feel little regretful that I had never write letters for my parents unlike you, reading that your parents were delighted. And I think your practice with translating seems good, which I want to follow. You shouldn’t have to worry about English writing because if your Korean writing is good, then English writing will follow it as your language skill grows.

    2012000909 Han Gyul Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's happy to know you take writing as your hobby too. And I like what you say writing is a kind of great tool to capture our feelings. Sometimes I read my texts which were written while facing the hard times, it reminds me how I overcame at those moments and helps me to find more strengths to go further. I believe practice makes perfect, keep up on working for your goal :)

    Tsz Ching LEE

    Tsz Ching LEE

    ReplyDelete