Saturday, September 20, 2014

Ju Hye Choi / My Attitude towards Writing / Tues 3 4

     I have a positive attitude towards writing. Writing helps me express myself in different ways lyrically and candidly. When I was a teenager, I wanted to show and not tell which soon became a way of communication for me. Naturally I began to speak less focusing my attention on the end result of things. However, once the habit solidified I learned my inarticulate ways of communicating were causing emotional distance, sometimes misunderstandings. It later became harder for me to openly express myself then I found that freedom in writing.

     Few years ago, I met a friend who loved poetry. I learned what a great writer he was when one day, he gave me a flash drive that included all his letters, poems and writings. It was a collection of written work mostly about a woman he was madly in love with rather worshipped. When I first read his poem, I could not stop but kept reading all his other poems because of his ability to express himself. He knew how to make readers experience vicarious feelings in ways that worked like medicine and his writings seemed to know no limits. The more I read, the more I learned how to articulate myself and it later helped me find joy and freedom in writing.

 

     Today, I enjoy writing. Whenever possible, I try to spend time writing poetry or any other style of writing. It helps me analyze my thoughts and feelings also reexamine the changes that have occurred in me when looking back at my old writings. Winston Churchill has once said, 'We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." In a fast paced society like today, I believe that people often make the mistake of choosing the wrong words sometimes even painful. Before we even realize, our choice of words slowly make something of us. I believe writing allows us to really think about what we want to say to the people and to ourselves and therefore writing is a gift.   

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It was great to read about how you felt about writing and about your experiences! I was surprised to know that you had a friend who wrote so much about love and that it helped you be more articulate. I think that your third paragraph, the one you added a quote was very smart! I enjoyed reading about your experiences and thoughts toward wriitng.

    NSH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly agree to what you quoted about words. I too believe writing enables us to control ourselves and think once more, and that is the biggest reason why i write how i feel to calm myself down. It is very effective and protects you from lot worse situations.

    Choi Hyo-jung

    ReplyDelete