Sunday, September 21, 2014

Na Shil Hwang/ My Attitudes Toward Writing/ Tues 11 am

I faintly remember the first time when I have considered writing as to expressing my feelings. It might be a very common thing probably in many countries and my first writing experience was when I started writing short sentences in my given small diary at school. Although the entries could have been quite small and simple, I was free to write about whatever I wanted and because of that, I was able to write, although short, about myself and my feelings. It was always my favorite thing to do in school when I had class. Eventually this had continued on and I did not stop writing a diary until I moved on to High School.

 

Every time I wrote a paper for class, I tended to please myself and not consider the teacher. Whenever I elaborate on some issue that has been understood and emphasized, I do not stop to consider other people however only focus on my ideas. However, because of this I probably did not receive much good grades since writing a paper is mostly for a grade and evaluation. If a lot of my writing was evaluated by better writers, they might consider my writing quite self-orientated and boring. It would be surprising since myself, I would enjoy what I have wrote about and did not hesitate to give myself a good grade. Although in other people's eyes, my writing would have sounded a bit poor on their standards, I have always thought my writing was good. Eventually, I would please myself in writing what I considered most important and did not consider much to please my teachers. However, as I grew older, I had understood that pleasing myself was not the real purpose of writing, since the readers also have to be considered. Just as how famous and popular books are loved, you could see that many people enjoy them since they are the readers who understood and enjoyed what the writer had to write about. One of my future goals is to make this happen and have people who enjoy my writing and have readers.

 

One writing assignment, which was freewriting and it was a time when we had to write a short story. When I had finished this story, I had thought that it was a good story with a good beginning, middle, and end. However, my teacher did not give a very good grade on this, so I was quite shocked. I had thought it to be a good story since when I read it, I was able to feel and know how the story was headed to. I still did not understand why that I did not receive an excellent grade on this particular story even after couple years when I read it again. I was surprised that I was able to write this kind of story only a couple years ago. If I look at it now though, it might come different to me and I would realize my errors and reasons for my receiving a satisfying grade on this paper. But after this writing assignment my love to write stories actually had decreased since I had always thought that I was a somewhat okay writer who could somewhat write okay writing and stories. One of my dreams was also to become a writer of any field, and this result, had actually led it to shatter. After that experience, it made me wonder if I was fit for a writer and fit for a good author.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nashil Hwang, thanks for sharing your experience. It was interesting what you had to say about writing ( reminded me of Faith :) ) I hope you can gain back the confidence you need to become a writer for I know you must have something beautiful to write about.

    JHC 201203623

    ReplyDelete