Saturday, September 27, 2014

Han Gyul Kim/The first draft/Tues 3-4

Summer vacation

201200909 Han Gyul Kim


 In hot summer, many people enjoy going to a water park, a swimming pool or a beach. It's such a pleasure to play in the cool water while it is hot outside. But I couldn't enjoy it because I had had a terrible experience from my childhood.


 It was the summer of 2003, when I was 10 years old, second grade student. My parents decided to go to the beach in Gangwon-do like any other families because going to beach was very common way to enjoy summer vacation. We went there by car, leaving home early in the morning. I was sleepy but at the same time so excited on the way to the beach because of my new tube. My mom bought it for me because the old one became small to me. I was really happy that even the tasteless noodles of the rest area on our way felt tasty.


 Finally we arrived after few hours of driving. A lot of people were there, and I wanted to jump into the water right away. So I changed my clothes into swim suit, asking my father to fill up my tube with air. Then I played with my cousin in the water, and everything was fun there. We swam, dabbled in the water and made a sand castle until mom called me to eat something. My parents were staying under the parasol because they didn't like to go into the water, and they had to care my young brother, who was like four years old then. After eating, I was bit tired then, but went to the water alone this time with my tube. I was sitting on the tube, the water was cool and sunlight was warm. So I started to doze off. I was between being asleep and awake because I wanted to play but also tired.


 Twenty minutes or so passed, and I woke up in the middle of the water. There were no people near me, and I saw the safety line is between them and me. I was so scared and tried to swim to the beach but end up getting farther from there. I just started to cry at that moment, and saw my mom screaming on the beach. I was finding my father if he was coming to me, but couldn't find him. Then I saw a safety guard coming toward me. He swam very fast, came to me and grabbed me with my tube, then took me to my parents. I figured out later that father had been finding for the guard when I couldn't find him. He said that because he couldn't swim, he thought that he couldn't save me by himself, so tried to found the guard. I'm very thankful to him of making right decision because I'm not sure what would have happened if he tried to save me. May be both of us could have been in danger.


 Until now, I hate and afraid of going in to water, especially deep water. But I think I had a good experience because it made me a cautious man. Also I learned from my father that I have to handle the situation calmly, even if the danger is close.

 

2 comments:

  1. 201100278 Gui Hwan Kim
    I have a similar experience too. When i was little i fell into the deep end of a swimming pool. I ate a lot of water and could not see any things. I was shouting in the water but no one could here me. I raised my hands hoping someone would pull me out of the water. Luckily there was life guard on duty and grabbed my hand an pulled me out of the water. I was scared but this did not stop me to enjoy water sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Han Gyul Kim/The second draft/Tues 3-4

    Summer vacation

    201200909 김한결

    In hot summer, many people enjoy going to a water park, a swimming pool or a beach. It’s such a pleasure to play in the cool water while it is hot outside. But I can’t enjoy it because I have a terrible experience from my childhood.

    It was the summer of 2003, when I was 10 years old. My parents decided to go to the beach in Gangwon-do like any other families since the beach was very common place to enjoy summer vacation. We went there by car, leaving home early in the morning. On the way, I was sleepy, but so excited at the same time because of my new tube. My mom bought it for me because the old one didn’t fit me anymore. I was really happy that even the tasteless noodles of the rest area felt tasty.

    Finally, we arrived at the beach after few hours of driving. The beach was crowded with people, and I wanted to jump into the water right away like people who were already in the water. So I changed my clothes into swim suit, asking my father to blow up my tube. Then I played with my cousin in the water, and everything was fun there. We swam, dabbled and made a sand castle until mom called us to eat something. My parents were staying under the parasol because they didn’t like to go into the water, and they had to care my younger brother, who was four years old. After eating, I was bit tired, but this time I went into the water alone with my tube. When I was sitting on the tube, the water was cool and sunlight was warm, so I started to doze off. I was between being asleep and awake because I wanted to play, but also tired.

    Twenty minutes or so passed, and I woke up in the middle of the sea. There were no people near me, and I saw the safety line lying between them and me. It took me few seconds to realize the situation. After I recognized where I was, I was so scared and tried to swim to the beach, but ended up only getting farther. I just started to cry at that moment, and saw my mom screaming on the beach. I was looking for my father whether he was coming to me or not, but couldn’t find him. Then I saw a safety guard swimming toward me. He swam very fast, reached me, grabbed my tube, and took me to my parents. I figured out later that father had been looking for a guard when I was looking for him. He said that he thought he couldn’t save me by himself because he couldn’t swim, so tried to find the guard. I thank him for making the right decision because I’m not sure what would have happened if he tried to save me by himself. Maybe both of us could have been in danger.

    Until now, I hate and fear going into the water, especially the deep one. Although it was a fearful experience, I think it gave me a valuable lesson because it made me a cautious man. Also, I learned from my father that I have to handle the situation calmly, even in the urgent situations.

    ReplyDelete