Saturday, September 20, 2014

Lee Jong-ho/My Attitude Toward Writing/Tues 3,4

I have two different attitudes toward writing. When I write for myself, and when I have to write for someone else. Oftentimes I write for my own pleasure. It can be diaries, a piece of fictional writings, or just letting out of my anger by means of writing. I do not show these personal writings to anyone. It will be too shameful. But it is not always the personal recordings that gives me the pleasure of writing. I once had to write a 30 page long report about phonetics and semantic phonology. It was much fun because I had so much interest in the field.

But there are times I have to show my writings to other people. In fact, more than a half of my writing experiences is that way. It can be essays and reports for homework, letters, or those so-called cover letters or self-introductions which are extremely awkward to write. When writing for someone else, I feel obligated to be precise, polite, and reader-friendly. And some kind of personal writings can give me the pressure, too. When I have to write a gift card or a short letter to someone I barely know, I have nothing to write. So I write down meaningless strings of words.

After all, writing is a creative and inspiring experience. I usually enjoy writing even when it is a homework. I mean it. I could arrange the ideas and think more clearly as I write. When finished writing, I have even firmer views than before. For this piece of writing, I conclude that I like writing. It is just that how much I am interested in the topic that decide my eagerness to write.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that writing gives me a lot of fun when I write about topics that I am really interested in. I have similar experience. When I wrote essays about Harry Potter I had a lot of fun eventhough it was an assignment because I was really fond of Harry Potter!

    201301616 Yujeong Suh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee Jong Ho, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your blog. I think it was well written and well-organized. Details like 'precise, polite, and reader-friendly' 'meaningless strings of words' 'firmer views than before' were all helpful descriptions I can relate to. Overall, good job :)

    JHC 201203623

    ReplyDelete