Saturday, September 20, 2014

Seon Hyuk Im / My Attitude Towards Writing / Tues. 11am

Attitude Towards Writing

   I've been writing since primary school; from learning simple phrases to learning how to write a complete essay. When I first started writing, it was easy. All I had to write are simple paragraphs about something. I didn't think bad about it. I didn't hate it. But I had my first 500 word essay in 6th grade. That's when it all started, my hatred towards writing. I stayed up nights writing that awful long essay. I have to thank my teacher for making me hate writing.

   As I got into high school, I wrote a lot more. A page and half minimum essays were becoming a daily homework. I eventually got used to it, but never liked it. I did eventually improve, but never enough to get pleasing grades. The only thing grateful for writing so much is that I got used to the amount of homework given to me every day.

   Looking back at everything I've done, I think it has made me a better person. I'm used to the amount of work I have to do, and I'm aware of how to write decent, if not good, essays. When I think about writing now, I think it's very tedious, because you have to concentrate, come up with interesting ideas then organize them, think about the quality and quantity of your writing, and most of all, your audience. But if I look at the good side of writing, I think it's a very good way to express yourself via writing, as you can be informative, persuasive, or simply just interesting to your audience. Now, I don't hate it as much as I did back in high school, but I still don't like it either.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Seon Hyuk
    I agree with you that when we are forced to write, it really takes away our joy in it. If teachers hadn't forced you to write so much in high school, you might have enjoyed writing more now. But, I think there was also some good sides to those writing assignments. Like you said, writing really requires some practice and without homework, we really don't give much thought to writing. So, in some ways I think you earned some benefits from those awful homeworks;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost feel the same as you do. I went to a Canadian high school where I suddenly had to write tons of essays. I was also used to the amount of writing homework given everyday. Because I was forced to do it, I never liked the assignment. These days, however, there is no reluctance for me in any kinds of writing including essays while I would not be so excited about writing something for school.

    Soohee Oh

    ReplyDelete