Friday, September 19, 2014

Gui Hwan Kim / My attitude towards writing / Tues 3 4

I have both positive and negative experiences with writing. My attitude towards writing is good, but I do not like to write that much. The positive experiences I have with writing are when I am writing for fun or doing creative writing. In middle and high school I always enjoyed writing poems or stories. In 8th grade our whole class participated in a poem contest and a few students poems were chosen to be published in a book. I was one of the lucky few who got chosen.

I also enjoy writing persuasive essays. When I attended college in Canada for one year, I wrote many essays which I enjoyed. I feel proud about my work when I am able to support my ideas with research and evidence. It is tedious, but I manage my time and enjoy the process.

But after coming to Korea and taking translation courses I have grown some negative attitudes towards writing. I have grown a habit of writing very exact. I tend to spend too much time on selecting a specific word which leads to me having a very awkward or broken sentence. Also, because we do so much translation in class, sometimes my wording or sentence order is incorrect. Even when I am not translating, my writing looks like a translation assignment.

Overall, I have both mixed feelings about writing, but I try to keep that positive attitude. I sign up for writing courses to force me to write more and learn my mistakes. I hope to improve my writing skills and break some old writing habits in the class. 


2 comments:

  1. 201300476 Byungwook Kim EIT
    In contrast to what you have said about choosing the exact word in your writing, your English writing contains too general and broad words that lacks enough details to describe your true feelings.

    I hope you refrain from using boring words such as good, as there are plenty other options to better polish your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 201003223 Haeung Jung EIT
    I was surprised that you have as same attitude toword writing as me.
    As I wrote already, I also have both postive and negative experience and it affected my attitude toword writhing.
    I hope we'll get positive experience about writing through this course!

    ReplyDelete