Saturday, September 20, 2014

Choi Hyo-jung/My attitudes toward writing/Tues11.a,

I have many different feelings about writing. In my early days, writing seemed like something i cannot do. I liked to read and i was a big reader, and after i read something that touched me deeply there was always the feeling wanting to write like what i read, create my own wonderful story and touch others too. But my writing always seemed like it never truly described what i intended to write. I couldn't find the correct words like real writers. Time passed, and in my student days writing became a method to get grades. It wasn't fun and it wasn't done by passion, but there were rules and forms i could follow so it was easier. But by this time, i found out that my big reading actually helped me. Even the writings were academical, i got good grades and the reasons usually were that i use right word in the right place. Those comments eventually sent me back to writing on my own. 

But now i realize i wrote a lot more than i think i did. I write diaries to keep track and remember. I write when i am angry to calm down. I write when i can not organize my thoughts. They are all short, simple writings but they also were part of my writing life. Now i know writing isn't so far away or something  i am not good at. I too can be a good writer if i try and experience. I might say that i am taking baby steps right now in writing in English. I don't like my word choices and i feel they don't fit where i use them. But i also don't think that i will always be like this. Like my writing in Korean, i believe that i can and will become a better writer. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Hyo-jung~
    I could really relate to you about writing to calm yourself down. I do that quite often, myself. When I write, it really helps me organize my thougths and relax.
    I also think reading has helped be become a better writer. I, too, am a great fan of books and reading great books always inspired me to write something so inspiring as well. I think when we keep reading good books, we will one day be able to write one ourselves. Good luck on your writing~

    From So-Eun Yoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly same about your point that reading a lot helps us to be a good writer. That is what I experienced, too. However, as you wrote, I think writing experience is what directly realted with good writing. And it seems you are experiencing writing a lot. I hope I could have those kind of writing habits, too.
    -Choi Yun-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tae-Hwan Park

    I think I think of the same stuff as you are. I find some books so good that I want to write too, but also think am too bad to write. I also agree on writing mostly without passion because it's homework

    ReplyDelete