Saturday, September 27, 2014

Gui Hwan Kim/ First Draft / Tuesday 3 4

"Five, four, three, two, one, bungee," the instructor shouted as he gave a slight push off the jumping board. My father and I were on vacation with a family friend, and I couldn't miss out on a precious chance to bungee jump.

           Since I was young I enjoyed extreme sports. I loved the thrill of going to high places or any sport with speed. The tickling feeling you get when you fall from a high places is the best feeling I can ever have. The excitement you get from finishing the experience or the leg-shaking nervousness you get before you jump is an emotion that drives me to challenge extreme sports.

           During my summer break me and my father and a family friend of ours were on vacation in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. The weather was humid and we were all exhausted from baking in the sun on a beautiful beach. We were heading back home when a road sign caught my eye. "Nanaimo Bungee" it said. I ordered my father to head towards that exit and to the bungee sight. It was always a dream for me to try bungee jump. I once had a chance in elementary school, but I was too young to bungee. The road towards the bungee sight was off road. Our vehicle blew up a lot of dust and our tires got muddy from the wet mud.

           After sign up and taking a short safety class I walked up to the bungee bridge. The bungee sight was in between a canyon. There was a steel bridge linking the two sides of the canyon and the jumping platform was dead center. After tying the bungee cord to my feet I stood on the platform. The cord hanging below me was very heavy and was dragging my feet closer and closer to the edge. It felt like I had to jump the plank off a pirate ship. For a split second, I thought to myself that this was a bad idea. I looked down to where my father was. He was waving in hat and shouting for me to jump. I could not look down. The river below was fast with white water crashing against the rocks. My legs were trembling and I could hear my heartbeat loud very fast.

           "I will countdown from five and you will jump. There is long line up and a no-jump will cost you extra," the instructor said. I had no choice but to jump. "Five, four, three, two, one bungee!" I closed my eyes and leaped the jump of faith. For about half a second I felt like I was flying. For that split second I understood how a bird would feel like when it is flying. The fall was short and then the bungee cord pulled me up and down a several time and then the experience came to an end

           To be honest, the feeling of falling was very short and I was a little bit disappointed. But I was happy that I finally got bungee jumping off my bucket list. I haven't had the chance to bungee anywhere else, but if I ever see a bungee road sign, I will not hesitate to bungee again.

3 comments:

  1. To Gui Hwan Kim From Han Gyul Kim Assignment First draft
    1. I liked your piece of writing because I got a vivid image after reading it. Reading through your experience, I felt like I was standing on the jumping platform ready to jump. Because I have a fear of heights, it was such a good chance to feel the bungee jumping, which I never even dreamed of.
    2. Your main point seems to be that you had a great experience on vacation, and you got bungee jumping off your bucket list. I envy you because a lot of things are left in my list.
    3. “It felt like I had to jump the plank off a pirate ship.” I liked this sentence because it described your fear very well and I got a vivid image from it. I would have felt like you if I was on your situation.
    4. “My legs were trembling and I could hear my heartbeat loud very fast.” I think you made a mistake here. The last part is bit unclear.
    5. I think you could write more about your feelings after jumping to improve your writing. Also you missed punctuation on the last sentence of fifth paragraph. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. 201301616 Yujeong Suh

    a. I think it was a good choice that you wrote "Five, four, three, two, one, bungee" because it made readers to easily imagine the situation you tried to describe."

    b. No

    c. I think your overall first paragraph is good but it would have been better if you had described your feeling or situation more detailly.

    d. "After sign up" : isn't "after signing up" correct?

    e. I want to know more about your feeling during the bungee jump and opinion about bungee jumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 201100278 Gui Hwan Kim Final Draft

    The 46 Meter Fall
    “Five, four, three, two, one, bungee,” the instructor shouted as he gave me a slight push off the jumping board. I was on summer vacation with family and friends. It was a once in a lifetime chance to experience bungee jumping. If I pass on this chance I may not have another chance to be close to a bungee jump site.
    Ever since I was young I enjoyed extreme sports. I loved the thrill of going to high places or any sport with speed. The feeling of all my inner organs getting mixed up inside my body when I am falling is the best feeling I can ever have. It feels like someone is tickling me from the inside, trying to make me laugh. The excitement I get from finishing the experience or the leg shaking nervousness I get before I jump is an emotion that drives me to challenge extreme sports.
    During summer break in high school, my family and family friends were on vacation at Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. The weather was humid and we were all exhausted from baking in the sun on a beautiful beach. We were heading back home when a road sign caught my eye. A big brown exit sign on the freeway had Nanaimo Bungee printed in bright yellow letters. I ordered my father to head towards that exit and to the bungee site. It was always a dream for me to experience bungee jump. I once had a chance in elementary school, but I was too young to bungee. The road towards the bungee site was unpaved. Our vehicle blew up a lot of dust and our tires got muddy from the wet mud.
    After registration and taking a short safety class I walked up to the bungee bridge. The bungee site was in between a canyon. There was a steel bridge linking the two sides of the canyon and the jumping platform was dead center. After tying the bungee cord to my feet I stood on the platform. The cord hanging below me was very heavy and was dragging my feet closer and closer to the edge. It felt like I had to walk the plank off a pirate ship. For a split second, I thought to myself that this was a bad idea. I looked down to where my father was. He was waving his hat and shouting for me to jump. I could not look down. The river below was fast with white water crashing against the rocks. My legs were trembling and I could hear my heartbeat loud very fast.
    “I will countdown from five and you will jump. There is long line up and a no-jump will cost you extra,” the instructor said. I had no choice but to jump. “Five, four, three, two, one bungee!” I closed my eyes and leaped the jump of faith. For about half a second I felt like I was flying. For that split second I was a human bird flying freely through the humid air. The fall was too fast for me to see exactly see how far I had jumped. I could not hear anything because the air rushing pass my ears muted all other sounds. The fall was short and then the bungee cord pulled me up. After the first pull the speed decelerated. The second way down was much slower and I could enjoy the fall. This time I managed to see where my father was. He was waving his hat with one hand and a digital camera recording my jump in the other. I waved back and then the jump came to an end.
    To be honest, the feeling of falling was very short and I was a little bit disappointed. I expected a much longer experience. But I was delighted that I finally got bungee jumping off my bucket list. I haven’t had the chance to bungee anywhere else, but if I ever see a bungee road sign, I will not hesitate to bungee again.

    ReplyDelete