Monday, October 20, 2014

Tsz Ching LEE/ Ch.3 Final draft/ Tues 3-4

The Another Part Of Me - Final draft

 

After I finished a brief self-introduction in front of the class, my new class teacher held my hand and took me to an empty seat where next to an Asian girl's. "This is Teresa, she is the monitress of our class. She will be willing to help you out and I am sure you two will be good friends." My teacher introduced Teresa to me on the class, it was our first meet. When I was 6, my whole family emigrated to England. Though everything was very new to me after moving to a new environment, I can hardly remember anything in my early childhood but this scene -- the first day I transferred to a new school.

 

Teresa was a smart, helpful and warm-hearted girl. "You are not alone." She said to me someday in the school playground as she tried her best to help me adapting to my new school life. We always stuck together to talk about our favourite food, songs, books, cartoons, and etc. Days by days, we became good friends. Her parents were from Hong Kong as well, but Teresa was born and brought up in England. We were both interested in Cantonese, the main language used for daily conversation in Hong Kong, however we couldn't speak it well. Sometimes, our parents invited us to come to each theirs house for dinner or sleepover, as Teresa and me were able to learn Cantonese from them. We spent most of our time together during 6 years of primary school, and 5 years of secondary school. "I wanna be a lawyer." She always told me. As I remember, we spent lots of time to talk about our dreams and future after we went to the secondary school. 

 

I wasn't clear about what do I want to be in the future. But Teresa seemed have a firm aim to achieve what she wanted to be. There is a saying "One takes on the colour of one's company." She studied very hard, as she wanted to get into the best law school in the future. Although I didn't have a specific goal to reach or to do at that time, I was just affected by Teresa to study hard for the certificate examination. At the meantime, I found my goal is to be a translator. I wanted to go back to my origin to learn about its distinctive culture and social customs. However, it's more difficult for a non-Hong Kong citizens to get into the university in Hong Kong, which requires a high score in the certificate examination, than a normal Hong Kong citizen. But anyway, I just wanted to have a try. We'd almost spend time to study everyday. After a 2-year-long preparation, fortunately, our hard working didn't let us down. The examination result was good enough to get Teresa into the law school where she desired to go to and bring me back to Hong Kong for getting into the university translation department.

 

Our last meet was 3 years ago in London. I went back there during the term break of the university. Although we had hadn't met each other for long, we stilled as close as the older days we spent together. Teresa and me, we were being for witnessing the growth of each other these years. I am gratified that we share the same childhood and our growth through the years. Pursing dream isn't easy for sure, no matter facing good times or hard times. Even we didn't contact for years, I will always believe that there is another friend on the another side of the world is still holding the faith and working hard for her dream like what I am doing.

 

Teresa, we are not alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment