Monday, October 13, 2014

Bo-won Kim/ first draft/ Tues 3-4

A star in my house


 

There is a star in my house. Always shining, no matter when I go home. The star is my dad. These days, I go home late due to studying for upcoming exams. Whenever I go home, the house is dark with no single lights on. However, I can sense a single light from the living room even I cannot see it with my bare eyes. The light is coming from my dad, who has been waiting for my safe return all night long.

Last night, I returned home at approximately ten o'clock. Not as usual, the house was filled with noises coming from a TV and my sister laughing. "I'm home" I yelled and without looking at a living room, I went straightly to my room and lay on my bed. Tired from studying all day long, I dragged my body to the living room to watch my favorite TV program. I would have been more than happy to lie on the sofa, but there was my dad, sleeping on the sofa. "Why is he sleeping on the sofa? Why is he not going into his room?" I asked my sister with an annoying face. "Don't make that face. He was waiting for you before he fell asleep" she said. I could not say anything.

I looked at my dad sleeping. He was sleeping as if he has no worries or concerns in this world. His wrinkled face tells how old he is and that he is not a dad used to hang out with me anymore. I didn't recognize how time flies until I saw his face. His pajama is all worn out and suddenly I could feel his love towards his children. Everyone always used to say that my dad and I look just the same and called us clones. For the past twenty years, I have denied it for I hated to hear that. After looking into my dad's face, I understand why people called us clones. I look just like him and I'm not ashamed of it anymore. "Oh, you came" said my dad, waking up his upper body to give me a seat on the sofa. "So, how did your day go?" I started the conversation, remembering the old days my dad and I spent together. Surprised at me starting a conversation, his eyes were wide for a few seconds. Soon, his face was filled with smile as mine. We spent all night talking, not realizing how my favorite TV show ended.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. 1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like: Bowon’s father seems to be a selfless, caring man.
    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.
    a) “Who has been waiting for my safe return all night long.”
    b) "Don't make that face. He was waiting for you before he fell asleep"
    c) “His pajama is all worn out and suddenly I could feel his love towards his children. “
    3.
    A. What the person looks like- “His wrinkled face tells how old he is and that he is not a dad used to hang out with me anymore.” / “dad and I look just the same”
    B. What the person does- sleeps after waiting for her daughter to come home.
    C. What other people say about the person. –he looks just like his daughter.
    4. Were there anything in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they? / “waking up his upper body”
    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person? / I think the writer chose to describe her father she could really feel her father’s love for her children through his actions.
    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft./ I think it would be helpful if you added more description about your father.

    Thank you for sharing. It was a touching story. :)

    CJH

    ReplyDelete
  2. 201301616 Yujeong Suh

    1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like.
    The father a tender and warm-hearted man who loves his daughter a lot.
    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.
    - "He was waiting for you before he fell asleep."
    - waking up his upper body to give me a seat on the sofa
    - We spent all night talking, not realizing how my favorite TV show ended.
    3. Put a check next to each of the methods below (a-d) that the writer uses to reveal person's character. For each method that you checked, give one example from the essay.
    - What the person looks like: His wrinkled face tells how old he is and that he is not a dad used to hang out with me anymore.
    - What the person does: He fell asleep waiting for his daughter to come.
    - What other people say about the person: He and his daughter look just the same like clones.
    4. Were there any things in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they?
    - 'annoying face': Isn't it annoyed face?
    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?
    -I think she chose to describe her father because from the episodes she felt sincere love of his father toward her and that she also loves her father.
    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.
    -I think it will be better if you touch more on metaphor. (the part that you mentioned your father as sunshine)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like.
    Bowon's father is a very loving person who always cares about and loves Bowon so much.
    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.
    -He stays awake late at night for Bowon's safe return.
    -He fell asleep on the couch waiting for Bowon.
    -He wants to know how Bowon's day went.
    3. –What the person looks like(o) He has wrinkles and he and Bowon look alike.
    -What the person says(o) "Oh, you came." , "How did your day go?"
    -What the person does(o) He falls asleep in the couch waiting for Bowon.
    -What other people say about the person(o) Other people say that Bowon and his dad look alike very much, as if they were clones.
    4. Were there any things in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they?
    Everything was pretty much clear accept his appearance.
    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?
    Because Bowon wants to express his love to her dad.
    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.
    What does your father look like in detail?
    -201300854 Jieun Kim

    ReplyDelete