Monday, October 20, 2014

Han Gyul Kim/The final draft/Tues3-4

201200909 Han Gyul Kim

My Brother

             It was cold winter when he was born. I still remember that I went to the hospital to see my mom and a newborn brother in the early morning of January, 14 years ago. He is my oldest sibling, who is six years younger than me, among two brothers and one sister. But, he is my best friend in our family, even though there is a big age gap between us.

             He doesn't look like the typical boys of his age. His long, wavy hair reaches his shoulder which seems to be too long for a boy, and his skin is white as if he has never been outside. Although he eats a lot, he never gains his weight. As a brother, sometimes it's a quite pity to see his skinny body.

             We were not a good friend for each other from the beginning. When he was a baby and I was an elementary school student, I really hated him because I thought he was the one who stole my mom's love from me. Mom had to take care of him twenty-four seven, so eventually she couldn't look after me much. Until he became ten, we fought day and night.

By the time my brother became ten years old, both of my parents were working outside since my mom went back to work. Eventually, only two of us had to spend time together after school, so it was my responsibility to take care of him as an older brother. Since then, I started to find out how much alike we are, and how fun it is to play with him. Unlike me, he was good at playing games, so he taught me how to play certain games and I loved those times. We especially liked to play Super Mario, and it was huge pleasure for me that he achieved something that I had never been able to do. Even these days, we play certain games together though we live apart. Still, I always find that he is better than me.

             Although he is such a great friend of mine, he had some trouble with his peers in school. Since my family except me and dad moved to Jeju Island, my brother transferred to the middle school near the new home. However, he failed to adapt to the new surroundings. So he became a homeschooler, studied by himself, and recently passed a qualification exam equivalent to middle school graduation. I think the fact that he quitted school is not important. He is still a good brother, a good friend of mine, and at the same time good son for my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment