Monday, October 13, 2014

Han Gyul Kim/The first draft/Tues 3-4

201200909 Han Gyul Kim

My Brother


             It was cold winter when he was born. I still remember that I went to the hospital to see my mom and newborn brother in the early morning of January fourteen years ago. He is my oldest sibling, who is six years younger than me, among two younger brothers and one younger sister. But, he is my best friend in our family.


             He doesn't look like the typical boys of his age. His long, wavy hair reaches his shoulder which seems to be too long for a boy, and his skin is white as if he has never been outside. As a brother, sometimes it's a quite pity to see his skinny body. Although he eats a lot, he never gains his weight.


             We were not a good friend for each other from the beginning. When he was a baby and I was an elementary school student, I really hated him because he was the one who stole my mom's love from me. Until he became ten, we fought day and night. It was the period when my mother started to work, so both of my parents were working outside.


Eventually, two of us had to spend time together after school without anybody else, so I was responsible to take care of him as an older brother. I started to find out how much alike we are, and played with him with joy. He was good at games unlike me, so he taught me how to play some games and I loved those times. We both play games nowadays, sometimes together, and he is still better than me.


             Though he is such a great friend of mine, he had some trouble with his peers in school. He became a homeschooler, studied by himself, and recently passed a qualification exam equivalent to middle school graduation. I think the fact that he quitted school is not important. He is still a good brother, a good friend of mine, and at the same time good son for my parents.

1 comment:

  1. From Choi Yun To Han Gyul Kim
    1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like.
    He is the writer’s younger brother and also his best friend.

    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.
    I started to find out how much alike we are, and played with him with joy.
    We both play games nowadays, sometimes together, and he is still better than me.
    He is still a good brother, a good friend of mine, and at the same time good son for my parents.

    3. (1) What the person looks like (O)
    His long, wavy hair reaches his shoulder which seems to be too long for a boy, and his skin is white as if he has never been outside.
    (2) What the person says (X)
    (3) What the person does (O)
    He became a homeschooler, studied by himself, and recently passed a qualification exam equivalent to middle school graduation.
    (4) What other people say about the person (X)

    4. Were there any things in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they?
    Nothing.

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?
    I think the writer chose him because he is one of the most important and valuable person to the writer.

    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.
    What kinds of games did you played?
    What kind of trouble did your brother had with his friends?

    ReplyDelete