Monday, October 13, 2014

A Friend of Mine

A memory of her that should have been either locked away, or forgotten comes up to me around this time every year. I cannot say that this is a painful memory now, however now it only stays in my heart. I would reminisce the times that I had spent with her, how they were joyful and also regrettable. She was not one my closest friends, but she could have been close. If only I spent more time and energy with her.

Her name is Morning Dew. Just like her name, she was beautiful and bright-hearted. She was bouncy as a ball, and joyful all the time. She was taller than me just by an inch, and she had fair tan skin and bleached brownish hair which was not her natural hair color. She was more familiar with Korean than English, and at your first look, you can notice that she looks very Korean.

I met her in Middle School, when I went to Outdoor Education and all our school branches joined us. I did not meet her on the first day, since it was just orientation and the students were not set in different groups. I met her on the second day, and realizing to find someone of my age that was Korean just like me made me so happy. During that time, I was lately in to a Korean idol group; and we would both sing their songs and play around together. She did have a fair voice as well, we sang until we were out of voice. However, time went by quickly and we had to say our goodbyes and bid each other farewell.

After 2 years from our separation, I was able to see her again. This time she came to my school branch, which was actually the main branch. Actually, it was quite difficult to recognize her at first when I saw her, since she had changed so much. The fair tan skin and her bounciness had disappeared. But being so close to her this time, I was able to know more about her. I was surprised to see that she had memorized her locker combination by the Korean Soccer Team's jersey numbers, which was probably impossible to remember by many other people. She was purely Korean, although she did not live in Korea. She loved Korean things, and loved to talk about Korean dramas and TV shows. I remembered when I was able to befriend her since my interests had changed to Korean idol singers as well. She was very friendly, however we did have times when both our friendships could have been lost. She said, "I heard from a friend that you are not a very good friend to be with." It was quite shocking to hear that she mentioned this to me, but I realized that she took into a lot of thought saying this. Time went by, but she realized that her other friend was wrong about me, and we became friends again.

She was not my only friend back then, so I could not spend time only with her. I had other friends and actually, one of them was a little jealous since she thought that Morning Dew would take me away from her and our little group. So we decided to invite her into our group. My friends told me that, "She's a sweet girl, but I think that she is really skinny. Do you know what is happening?" Unfortunately, I did not have a clue. I knew that she was a sweet and generous girl, but as I mentioned that I was shocked to see her change in only two years, she did not seem to notice that she had changed much from then. I could not tell her the change up front, since I would presume that it might hurt her feelings. 

2 comments:

  1. Peer response - Jang Sung Young (201302944)

    1. She is very into Korean culture.

    2.
    "We would both sing their songs and play around together."
    "She had memorized her locker combination by the Korean Soccer Team's jersey numbers."
    "She loved Korean things, and loved to talk about Korean dramas and TV shows."

    3.
    a. She was taller than me just by an inch, and she had fair tan skin and bleached brownish hair which was not her natural hair color.
    b. "I heard from a friend that you are not a very good friend to be with."
    c. X
    d. "She's a sweet girl, but I think that she is really skinny. Do you know what is happening?"

    4. In the end, it is difficult to understand what the girl the writer is explaining about is to the writer. Is she just a friend? If so why is it that you think of her at this time of year? Was she difficult to become friends with? You explain alot about her and alot of incidents, but it is difficult to understand why she is special or why you wrote about her.

    5. This is actually what I didn't understand, but I believe it is because she is a friend that she remembers at this time of year.

    6.
    Was the friend special to you?
    What happened afte, are you still friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Tae-Hwan

    1) She seems passive aggressive and is proud to be Korean.

    2) Korean football team, Korean dramas, I heard from a friend your not a good friend.

    3) What the person does.
    example. Into Korean stuff.

    4) In the last paragraph when the writer mentions "she is a sweet girl" more the once its hard to know who is being referred.

    5) I think the writer choose to write about this person because there were very juicy stuff to say(interesting person).

    6) Why did she say that someone said you were not a good friend?
    Was she mean?

    ReplyDelete