Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bo-won Kim/the final draft/ Tues 3-4

A star in my house

201300489 Bo-won Kim

 

There is a star shining brightly in my house. Always shining, no matter how late I go home. The star is my dad. These days, I go home late due to studying for upcoming exams. Whenever I go home, the house is dark with no single lights on. However, I can sense a single light from the living room even I cannot see it with my bare eyes. The light is coming from my dad, who has been waiting for my safe return all night long.

Last night, I returned home at approximately ten o'clock. Not as usual, the house was filled with noises coming from a TV and my sister laughing. "I'm home" I yelled and went straightly to my room and lay on my bed. Tired from studying all day long, I dragged my body to the living room to watch my favorite TV show. I would have been more than happy to lie on the sofa, but there was my dad, sleeping on the sofa. "Why is he sleeping on the sofa? Can't he go into his room?" I asked my sister with an annoyed face. "Don't make that face. He was waiting for you." she said. I could not say anything.

I looked at my dad sleeping. He was sleeping as if he has no worries or concerns in this world. I didn't realize what it means when my dad said "time flies" until that night. His wrinkled face tells how old he is and that he is not a dad used to hang out with me anymore. I looked at him closely. Maybe that was the first time I have ever looked at his face that close. He had a rough skin form all day working and his drooping lips made his face look older.

Everyone always used to say that my dad and I look just the same and called us clones. For the past twenty years, I have denied it for I hated to hear that. After looking into my dad's face, I understood why people called us clones. I look just like him and I'm not ashamed of it anymore.

 His pajama was all worn out. I assumed it was because he did not care about his outfits. But it wasn't. It was because he had no time to look out for himself, for he has to care for his two children. Suddenly I could feel his love towards me and my sister.

 "Oh, you came" said my dad, waking up. "So, how did your day go?" I started the conversation, remembering the old days my dad and I spent together. Surprised at me starting a conversation, his eyes were wide for a few seconds. Soon, his face was filled with smile as mine. We spent all night talking, not realizing how my favorite TV show ended.

 There is a star shining brightly in my house and it's never going to explode. It looks out for my home and my family, not sleeping all day. The star seems tired for having done so but is always smiling, saying "I'm OK." The star will shine even more brightly with care and love from my family. We will protect the star as the time goes by and one day, I will be a star just like my dad. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment