Monday, October 13, 2014

Choi Hyo-jung/chapter 3 first draft/Tues11.am

My brother

 

His name is Moonki. Now he towers above me, but I still remember how small he was when mom first brought him home. He was small, wrinkly and noisy, and I, a four-year-old who wasn't ready to become a sister, treated him like an unwelcomed guest for a long time. But now I always have his photos with me, one per every three or four years. Many of my friends joke about my brother complex.

 

He is very good at computers and machines. He tries to learn all the programs by himself, and to my surprise, he always succeeds. Our family were proud and shocked at the same time when he applied for the school broadcast department, because we were all very worried for him being so shy. But after he applied and got accepted, his characters changed a lot in a more positive direction. He gained confidence in what he does. Because he is such well-mannered and tries hard compared to his friends, he is many teachers favorite student.

 

But he wasn't always like this. When he was young, he was ridiculously sloppy at everything and never could learn anything fast enough. Mom took extra care not to compare him with me. She encouraged him whatever he did and never scolded him very harsh, and I hated him for that. I hated him not because he took all her love from me, but because she went too easy on him. Now I know that our basic characters are different. I don't work hard, but still does above average. He works really hard, but still doesn't do things very well. But then, I didn't know and didn't cared a lot that other than being a little slow on learning, he was a sweet and kind little brother who thought proud of his older sister who apparently did everything better than him. However, feelings tend to change with minor happenings. He became my one and only baby brother when he came crying home. I flipped out when I heard boys outside laughing and teasing him. I ran outside in rage, scared all the boys off, and then came back inside and promised that I will literally kill them for him if they harass him again. He became my 'sweet' baby brother when he cried louder and said, "but I don't want you to go to the prison for that!"

 

The first thing people see from him now is his height. He is the tallest among all my family members, including all the relatives of both sides. Knowing that mom worried about him not growing fast enough, I laugh to myself whenever people marvel how tall he became. His shoulders became wider and his voice became deeper. People often mistake him for a university student, due to how he dresses and his appearance. No one harasses him anymore. But no matter how much people think he looks old and mature, I still see him as my little baby brother.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Her brother changed from his past, he used to be very sloppy and slow at learning but in the future, he had succeeded in exceling on a skill other people find difficult
    2. He was teased by his friends and was made fun of, and he works really hard although he requires more attention. Also he used to be short, but now he is quite tall.
    3. A) He said, “but I don’t want you to go to prison for that!”
    B) He is good at computers and machines
    C) Other people say that he is a very sweet little brother and he is well mannered
    4. No there wasn’t anything that I didn’t understand in this essay.
    5. I think that it would be good if maybe you can write more on how he overcame his difficulties and how he became good at computers and machines
    Also I think that it would be good to write maybe what he thought about his situation and his sister and family.

    NSH

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother
    -final draft Choi HyoJung


    There is a joke my family often make between ourselves. "We seem to have a sloppy ghost among us!" We say this with a smile on our face whenever my brother shows up from his room without making a sound. He tends to do that when we are all watching television without him. The main purpose of this joke is to give him a silent permission that he can stay to watch the television with us. We never call him to join us because he is in his last year of high school now, but he usually invites himself to our after-dinner TV time. He quietly comes out of his room, pretends to grab something from the refrigerator, then hearing the jokes we make, he comes and comfortably takes his place by our father. This smooth process which repeats every time makes me both smile and think about how much he have grown over 19 years since I first met him.

    His name is Moonki. Now he towers above me, but I still remember how small he was as a baby. When mom first brought him home, he was small, wrinkly and noisy. I, a four-year-old who never thought about having to take care of anybody, wasn't ready to become a sister, and treated him like an unwelcomed guest for a long time. But time passed, and things are different now. I always have his photos with me, and many of my friends joke that I have a brother complex.

    He is very good at computers and machines. He tries to learn all the programs by himself, and to my surprise, he always succeeds. He got his interest in programs and machines when he was in the school broadcast department, where he got a chance to use all the new gadgets and machines. Our family were proud and shocked at the same time when he applied for the school broadcast department, because we were all very worried for him being so shy. But after he applied and got accepted, his characters suddenly changed a lot in a more positive direction. He started to gain confidence in what he did. He started to make friends more actively. He even ran for the class president. Because he was such well-mannered and tried hard compared to his friends, he was and still is the favorite student for many of his teachers.

    But as I mentioned, he wasn't always this good. When he was young, he was shy, ridiculously sloppy at everything and never could learn anything fast enough. Mom took extra care not to compare him with me. She encouraged him whatever he did and never scolded him very harsh, and I hated him for that. I hated him not because he took all her love from me, but because she went too easy on him. Now I know it was because our basic characters were different. I didn't work hard, but still did everything above average. He worked really hard, but still couldn't do things very well. But back then, I didn't know that. I was too busy hating him that I didn't see other than being a little slow on learning, he was a sweet and kind little brother who was proud of his smart older sister. However, feelings tend to change with minor happenings. He became my one and only little brother when he came crying home. I flipped out when I heard boys outside laughing and teasing him. I ran outside in rage, scared all the boys off, and then came back inside to promise that I will literally kill them for him if they harass him again. He became my 'sweet' little brother when he sobbed louder and said, "But I don't want you to go to prison for that!"

    The first thing people see from him now is his height. He is the tallest among all my family members, including all the relatives of both sides. Knowing that mom worried about him not growing fast enough, I laugh to myself whenever people marvel how tall he became. His shoulders became wider and his voice became deeper. People often mistake him for a university student, due to his appearance and how he dresses up. No one harasses him anymore. But no matter how much people think he looks old and mature, I still see him as my cute little brother.

    ReplyDelete