Saturday, November 1, 2014

Ju Hye Choi_Ch 4 First Draft_Tues 3 4

                                                                                                  The Field 

 

     We all have those moments where we wish it would last forever. Growing up I had to move from one place to another having to adjust in a new environment all the time. I realized nothing lasted forever. However, as a child the soccer field has always been a place I could be myself. Wherever I was, wherever my family moved to, as long as I was in the field I did not feel the need to adjust to anything. Coming to Korea for university was another transition in my life. I never thought I would be playing soccer in Korea knowing that it is hard to participate in a team. However, I was proved wrong when I first saw the school field myself.

     It was late February when I first entered the main gate of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies. To my right was a field which reminded me of a desert. The weather was not as scorching as one, it was rather cool and windy. I felt that a sudden gust of wind could easily form a sand storm and contaminate the area. It looked rather dull looking at it. It was as if the trees that surrounded the field took away all the colors. However, despite the field which resembled so much of a sand paper up close, young children and adults seemed to have no problem with the field. They somewhat looked extremely hooked on the game yelling and kicking balls at each other. They made the field seem quite alive.

     Standing on the side of the field near the main gate, I saw school buildings standing behind the cold concrete steps on the other side of the field. And to the right, there was a basketball court where busy buses and cars passed by right next to it. People were scattered everywhere and I could hear the sound of the vehicles passing by, children laughing, and people passing balls to each other all at once. The field was lively and before I knew it I found myself mesmerized by what I was seeing. Later did I taste the salty flavor and smell of the sand from the wind. It started to stuff my nose a little the more I stood there but it did not stop me from getting excited.

     I was excited to play soccer even though I knew I would be alone. I remember I would come out late at night and play by myself while there were people jogging and playing basketball in the dim light. It was the start of the many memories I shared with the field. There were days of playing soccer with little boys, days when I had friends join me in the spur of the moment and days when I got to join people playing soccer from different countries. Being in the field allowed me to meet people from all walks of life especially my dear friend whom I have spent most of the time together in the field. It became a very meaningful place to me already.

     Almost three years have passed by since then. Now I am sitting here on the cold concrete steps lost in memory as I see people jogging and playing basketball under the dark sky. Unlike the first day I saw the field, it is rather empty and chilly. But I am grateful I have a place to go to whenever I feel lost and older. A place to remind me of the days when I was young and lively. And I am grateful to have the memories here to keep me warm.  

2 comments:

  1. To Ju Hye Choi From Han Gyul Kim
    1. I liked the topic, soccer field. I used to play soccer and like it, so the topic seemed interesting. The description about HUFS soccer field in second paragraph was so detailed so that it immediately reminded me of the sight I see everyday.

    2. I think everything was clear enough.

    3. Sight was the dominant sense of the writing. Paragraph 2 describes the soccer field by what it’s look like. In paragraph 3, the writer wrote about the taste of sand from the wind. There were also some sounds such as sound of vehicles and sound from people like yelling or children laughing.

    4. The place looks alive and vibrant.

    5. It is because it has always been a place the writer could be herselfand it reminds her of her young and lively days.

    6. I think the second to the last sentence is a fragment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.I liked how the writer described how the field looked different when time passed.
    2.It was mostly clear to understand.
    3.The writer appealed to different senses by writing it was chilly, or it was salty.
    4.I would describe that this place may look lonely but actually very alive.
    5.I think this place is somewhere the writer can come back and think back of his days.
    6.I think the first paragraph somehow doesn't quite seem to relate with the following story, especially the last sentence.

    Choi HyoJung

    ReplyDelete