Saturday, November 1, 2014

Byungwook Kim/first draft chp4/ tues34

           Everyone has ups and downs. Financial problems, puzzling relationships, farewell to the loved ones and so on. But once in a while, there are times when strawberry Häagen-Dazs ice cream just quite doesn't do the trick. And I for one, who is one of the most cold-hearted and self-absorbed prick you can possibly imagine, is not an exception from unwelcome and unexpected surge of emotion. Just like any other typical South Korean university students destined to compete in the grim job market just in few years where A+ guarantees nothing, I consistently exposed and subjected to a wide array situations that are sometimes too much to bear.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you’re reading this, it means I actually worked up the courage to mail it sober without any help of Scotch, so good for me. You don’t know me very well, though I presume I gave you an impression of myself as a self-absorbed pretentious little prick the first time we met, which is perfectly my bad, I must say I have a tendency to go on and on about how hard the writing is for me. Though I’ve been a writer for a decade, and a professional one for that too, this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to write. There’s no easy way to say it so I’ll just say it. I met someone.
    It all just happened so fast. I wasn’t looking for it. It wasn’t on the make. It was a perfect storm. Last Monday morning, strolling quickly past 11th Street, a posh vein of high-end stores and Euro-styled cafes, I headed to the Starbucks three blocks north from my place to get myself a cup of Hazelnut Macchiato which is by the way my favorite. Anyways, with my two hands jammed deeply into the pockets of 2005 Calvin Klein brown leather jacket, I scurried myself hunching slightly forward against the unreasonably cold breeze piercing through the skin of my face.
    As I slightly opened the glass front door with a familiar Starbucks logo embroidered discreetly in steel over it, a faint trail of freshly roasted coffee beans and a scent of slightly burnt wood pleasantly welcomed me inside. There were a number of classy modern lamps in different shapes hanging from the ceiling, emitting comfortable subtle

    ReplyDelete