Monday, November 3, 2014

Lee Jong-ho / 1st draft / Tues 3-4

I had to think for a while before writing about some place, because I do not really put meaning to places. At the end, I could not come up with a special place… so I tried the other way. I thought about the place which had negative impacts on me, the place I hate. Then I finally came up with something.
The military unit in which I did my service will remain in my memory for the rest of my life. It was somewhere near Kyeonggi-do. The most terrible thing about the place was that it was extremly small. I was condemned in a bunker. It was only large enough for a squad, which contains no more than a dozen man. What I did in there is kind of classified and I cannot tell. But it did not require much more place than the bunker and I had to spent my two years in that rathole. Most of the time I could not go out for a sunshine. We had no field to run, we had no space for physical training, and all we had were two story beds and a TV. I felt like in jail.
The food was what tortured me, too. We did not have a proper cook. So we ordered our meal from an outside food supplier, and it tasted like shit, it was not plenty, and it was expensive. We occasionally had the driver buy some extra food, but that was only under the permisson of the officers which was not usual. My service was the period when I was most hungry yet I had nothing proper to eat.
The only think I liked about the unit was that it was an independent unit from the command, so we had less people to bother us on what we were doing. I was slightly freer than my fellow soldiers in other big units. But the majority of my military service was an utter misery to me.


3 comments:

  1. From Tae Hwan to Lee Jong ho

    1) I like the essay because I could feel the misery too and the torture the writer felt. For example no space for physical training and no sunlight.

    2) I do not think the writer described the place clearly. I dont think the part explaining the living conditions was clear enough.

    3)No the writer did not appeal any senses.

    4)I would describe the atmosphere as depressing boring and sad.

    5) I think the writer chose to write about this place because it impacted him/her in the most negative way possible.

    6) I think you should show not tell your experience or image you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jung Hae Ung to Lee Jong ho

    1) He described circumstance of the unit specifically, so I like his writing.

    2) "I was condemned in a bunker." Bunker means container box?

    3) x

    4) It sounds depressed place like jail

    5) It's because he couldn't come up with special place. So he turned the way.

    6) I think you should describe the place more specific and long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Byungwook Kim

    1) His sentence is simple to understand

    2) I cannot fully understand the part "I was condemned in a bunker."

    3) x

    4) bleak and gloomy

    5) it reflects his mental health..

    6) more details should strengthen the writing.

    ReplyDelete