Monday, December 8, 2014

Seon Hyuk Im / Ch. 5 Final Draft / Tues. 11am

I Go, I Go, My Way

             A tall Caucasian man is standing in front of the classroom teaching how to give a good presentation. He's got some gray hair on top of small head with black hair. He's wearing glasses as big as his eyes, but it looks like a toy because his big nose is in the way. He looks like George Clooney because he seems like he's aged gracefully. He's a very, very handsome middle aged man. His students are Korean boys and girls. So, I got curious what's making him teach in Korea? How does he adapt to this country? I had many questions that I want to ask, and I wanted to hear his story.

             "Professor Vincent, how long have you been in Korea?" I asked.

             "Probably about 10 years on and off. Before 2002, I was here for a year then I left, I came back in 2005 and 2006, then I went back and I came back in 2007 and I've been here since then."

             I wondered why his stay wasn't long at first. I assumed he came for the job of teaching, but left in between because he got homesick or wanted to take a vacation. But I just asked straightforwardly.

             "I like the job here. I didn't want to be a lawyer. I like teaching English. I could have a good job here; good working conditions here for that."

             His reason was very simple; just as everything else with him was simple. I was, still am, and will still be one of his students until I graduate. His classes were simple. His class rules were simple. His grading was simple. I didn't have to be ready to be hit with a long complicated answer. He just simply liked teaching English, but why here? Why Korea? I wondered.

             "Well, the students here are really good. I think you can't get better English students anywhere than here. They're pretty hard working, and they have a good level of ability. I like Korean people; they're hard working and decent people, for the most part. They're kind to me, anyway."

             Korean people indeed are hard working. They are decent people. Being a Korean myself, I can't agree more because of the way Korean society circulates. They are hard working, and they think and know that their hard work will pay off; like how they picked themselves up after the Korean War to keep up with the rest of the world. Within 50 years, Korea became one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Within 50 years, they became the fastest country in the world to modernize themselves. They're decent people too, because Koreans don't like to be a bother to people they don't know. They don't want to be rude to people around them. Our conversation naturally flowed on to my next question.

             "How do you like the Korean lifestyle here? Korean and American cultures are way different, and the lifestyle."

             "I don't live a Korean lifestyle. I basically live my own lifestyle. I can get everything I'm comfortable with. And I think Korean people have too much pressure and stress, and I don't want to live that way. The main thing for me that I miss is urban spaces that have lots parks and beautiful scenery, but I don't find that in Seoul. It's too crowded and noisy. It's not built with a sense of beauty being important. For that reason, I do like taking my vacations to Europe because it's beautiful and relaxing. This job does offer me long enough vacation so I have time to do that. And I like what I do here, working here is fine but I do like taking my vacations to Europe."

             Ever since the first class I had with him, he's always had his own vibe, his own groove, and his own world. He was this tall white professor who looks very clever; who looks like someone that would challenge his students academically often. But he was nothing like that. He had this unique way of teaching, since he taught English presentations. He didn't go hard on his students. He was really free, open and relaxing. He gave a lot of tips and advices, and wanted his students to practice more and more. In his way of teaching was a part of his lifestyle. His class would be one of those classes where I don't want to miss out a thing on, a class where I felt comfortable sitting and listening to. He was fun. His class was fun. Then, he continued.

             "My wife and I say we have a bubble. We have our own culture bubble."

             I envied him. I told him I envy him for that. He has his own philosophy, he has his own lifestyle, and he has his own way of living in this country. He was what one would call a free soul. He did what he wanted to do. He didn't need to speak Korean since he can get everything he needed online; he has his wife to talk to, and basically did what he wanted to do.

             I told him, "You should come by Malaysia some time, my dad works there since his tour company stationed him there."
             "Maybe I will! That sounds great."
             I really wouldn't mind seeing him there, having a glass of beer or cocktail and continuing our chat about anything, everything; life. He was just this laid back person whom I really came to look up to. He had a meal with the class once. It was very awkward at first, but once he started talking, everyone started talking. Everyone would follow along the topic he spit out from him mouth. From that conversation, we found out he had a very creative mind, literally like he said, he has his own culture bubble. That's what he meant, he likes to think creatively, imagine vividly, and create a world in his mind.

             This is a man that I envy. Professor Vincent is a very open man, a very creative man, and a man who enjoys life. He does what he wants to do, he fulfills his dreams and goals. He wanted to teach English, so he did. He came to Korea because of the smart and hard working students. He wanted a job that provided him lots of time for himself, and he found it. There's nothing I cannot envy here, and I hope to become to be a successful person like him, a successful person in enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment